Instructor: Calvin Liang
Dates: Oct 12–14, 2022 (Wed–Fri)
Class Limit: 16 students
FULL — Get on the waiting list below
Level: All Levels
Calvin Liang will be teaching a 3-day plein air workshop. Calvin will begin with a demonstration each day, then he will spend time with each student throughout the rest of the day.
Plein air painting is a foundational part of training the eye to better understand the concepts of composition, design, and color harmony. The lessons will include:
- How to plan a composition that will be most effective for the artist’s intentions and preferences
- How to better see and use warm and cool colors in the landscape;
- How to command hardness and softness of the edges to create space in a painting;
- How to simplify the subject matter through the use of basic design, value, color, and drawing skills;
- How to consider the reasons for different paint surface textures, and brushstroke direction over the forms; and
- How to get the best possible results in a short time.
Bio: Calvin was born in Canton China, and first began painting in high school. He completed his art education at the Shanghai Academy of Fine Arts, recognized as one of China’s most prestigious and competitive art academies. In China, his skills as a fine artist were applied to the theatrical industry, where he designed and created sets for operas and musicals for the Canton Opera Institute. Liang moved to the United States in 1987 and continued his profession as a full-time artist. He had a long and successful career creating visual art for the entertainment industry in animation, which included Walt Disney Studio and Nickelodeon Studio. He put in a semester in college learning the ins and outs of animation and eventually helped bring “The Little Mermaid” and “Cinderella” stories to life. He was later employed with Nickelodeon, working on “Angry Beavers” and “SpongeBob.” Ultimately, however, Liang became fascinated by the beautiful California landscape and transformed himself into a fine artist, painting themes of his choosing. Now his well-known sailboats crashing through waves, to rocky California coastline, to Spanish missions of centuries past, Calvin Liang’s masterful oils never fail to impress and inspire. Rediscover beautiful land and seascapes through Calvin’s eyes. He is a signature member of California Art Club, a master signature member of Oil Painters of America, a signature member of Oil Painters of America, and Laguna Plein Air Painter’s Association. He is the recipient of numerous art awards and is featured in many art magazines.