Instructor: Angus Wilson
Media: Acrylic & Oil paint
Dates: April 8–11, 2021 (Th-Su)
Class Limit: 16
*This ONLINE Workshop is stretched over 4 days, but each session of teaching won’t last a full day. This effectively is a 3-day workshop redesigned for online classes. Students should plan to have a busy few days.
Materials List <— download
The workshop will focus on simple rules and techniques to create more expressive, colorful paintings. Within the workshop, Angus will primarily guide students through his own distinctive approach to painting. Angus will focus on techniques for breaking free from conventional styles and old habits. Encouraging simple and easy methods to create stunning artwork, opening the students up to more creative confident work. During the workshop, Angus will teach many aspects of painting, with a particular focus on color, simplifying composition, and the power of dynamic ‘underpainting’.
The workshop will be held on ‘still life’ painting, but ideas and methods learned in the class can apply to all painted subjects.
The class will be taught online, using zoom conferences and image document shares. Students will work from photographs of still life arrangements provided, or (if approved) their own subjects. During the workshop, painting exercises will be used as a method for teaching ideas and principles. These will include an approach for – ‘designing & re-imagining color choices’, and ‘creating energetic simplified brushwork’
The workshop will focus primarily on Acrylic, but oil painting is also welcome. If the student wishes to work in another medium, please arrange directly beforehand.
Additional information on subjects covered in the workshop.
- Color planning within a painting (using the power of underpainting and complementary colors) Many ‘traditional’ workshops and teaching gets bogged down in the complexities of color and paint, this isn’t strictly necessary for painting great paintings, find out why.
- Freeing up color – methods for adapting the colors in a subject to create a stronger painting.
- Getting to know paint – Acrylic, and oil. Ways to approach each medium.
- Optionally to interested students, Angus will have a break out lesson and demo teaching how he uses a computer, (or tablet), to plan a painting and make color choices.
- ‘Tricks’ and Training
- Methods for finding a style that works for you
- Tricks to knowing a subject before you start painting
- Which do you do, ‘plan’ or ‘wing it’?… and why you should try the other one