Regarding materials, if you have a preferred palette, you can stick with it. Alex says that these are just suggestions, not requirements.
Materials: Students can use any materials they like, with the preference given to oil paints.
- Personal choice, but all colors: blues, reds, greens, earths should be two tubes each: one transparent, and one opaque. For example red – Cadmium for opaque and Red Madder for transparent. Titanium White.
- Liquin or other alkyd resin medium or linseed oil.
- Odorless solvent.
- A number of square brushes (brights) both soft and bristle. Students should bring one or two brushes that they think too big to use (1/4 – 1/2″). Brushes don’t have to be expensive, but they have to be in good shape.
- 2-3 medium size (12×16″–16×20″) boards or canvases primed white.
- 2-3 small size (8×10″–9×12) boards or canvases primed white.
Small drawing pad for sketches and notes.